Mt Republic Chapel of Peace Cooke City, Montana
Mount Republic Chapel of Peace
Wednesday, December 13, 2017
An Interdenominational Place of Worship

History

 
More than 50 years of Interdenominational Worship Services

 

 

Local residents began to hold the first public services in 1952 when the owners of the Rusty Spur Saloon closed the saloon for a couple of hours on Sunday mornings so worshippers could use the facility. Over the next twenty years services were held at the Rusty Spur and a variety of other locations. In 1968 Theodore and Kay Kellogg donated approximately 10 acres of land midway between Cooke City and Silver Gate, at the foot of Mt. Republic (10,000' above sea level). 

Money was raised over the next 3 years for a building and Montana architect Charles Sumner was asked to design a facility that would be suitable for Christians from all denominations.  The design was completed and land cleared in 1971, and the Chapel was completed in 1972.

Due to the proximity to campers in Yellowstone National Park, and the Gallatin National Forest, arrangements were made with A Christian Ministry in the National Parks to provide pastoral leadership. For thirty years, from 1972 through 2002, services were held in the Chapel from June through August, with occasional services held during the winter months. In 2003 the Chapel Board decided there was sufficient financial support to provide services year-round. The Chapel was winterized, as was the parsonage (built in 1984, on the same lot), and the first year-round pastor was placed by ACMNP.